Welcome to the Heartland Dry Eye Center
Why choose Heartland Eye Consultants for your dry eye care?
We take the time to listen to you. We understand that dry and irritated eyes are frustrating, unrelenting, and often times overlooked. Therefore, we spend as much time as it takes to understand your symptoms, carefully evaluate your entire ocular surface, and then explore all treatment options to devise a therapy targeted to your individual needs.
Our doctors have been trained at the highest levels of the optometric profession and have over 35 years of experience treating dry eye disease. They are perennial lecturers at various professional conferences nationwide and serve as adjunct clinical professors at several optometry schools.
Heartland Eye Consultants is on the cutting edge in the use of technology in the diagnosis and management of dry eye disease. We employ the use of the OCULUS Keratograph® 5M, TearLab® Osmolarity System, InflammaDry®, various dyes for ocular surface evaluating, and research verified questionnaires to quantify your dry eye symptoms.
What is Dry Eye Disease?
According to the International Dry Eye Workshop (DEWS II Study):
“Dry eye is a multifactorial disease of the ocular surface characterized by a loss of homeostasis of the tear film, and accompanied by ocular symptoms, in which tear film instability and hyperosmolarity, ocular surface inflammation and damage, and neurosensory abnormalities play etiological roles.”
In essence, chronic dry eye occurs when your eyes do not produce the right quantity or quality of tears. The symptoms of dry eye include the following:
- General discomfort
- Eye fatigue or heaviness
- Blurry and/or fluctuating vision
- Sensitivity to light
- Excessive use of over-the-counter eye drops
How severe is your dry eye?
Download and complete our dry eye questionnaire. If your total score from the “Frequency” and “Severity” questions is more than 6/28, you likely have dry eye.
What should you expect at your initial dry eye evaluation?
- TearLab® is an instrument that measures the osmolarity or the concentration of specific particles within the tears of your eyes. A high osmolarity is highly indicative a dry eye.
- InflammaDry® is a measurement of the number of enzymes in the eye that exist when moderate to severe inflammation is present. Dry eye sufferers tend to have chronic inflammation in their eyes that causes redness and irritation.
- Vital dyes are specific colored dyes that are placed in the eye in order to assess small areas of surface damage. These dyes can highlight areas and patterns of surface cellular damage that help us diagnose your underlying cause of your dry eye.
- Meibography is the infrared imaging of the oil producing glands within the eyelid. If these glands are damaged or dying, your eye will have a difficult time producing enough quality oil to cover the eye and contribute to a healthy tear composition.
- Meibomian gland expression is the manual and gentle squeezing of the oil glands in the eyelid in order to assess the quality of the oil inside. Poor quality oil leads to damage to the gland itself as well as to dry eye.
- Photography of all of the features of the front of your eye will be used to educate you on the findings of the exam as well as serve as a tool to track progress in your treatment.
For patients with MGD, TearScience® LipiFlow® significantly improves gland secretions and ocular surface symptoms including dry eye and less frequent or blurry vision.
- The treatment is non-invasive procedure performed in the comfort of your doctor’s office, only takes 12 minutes and can have long-lasting results
- After initial anesthetic drops, no drugs required for TearScience® LipiFlow® treatment
- Long-lasting results—many can see the continued benefit up to 12 months
- 400,000 treatments worldwide—and growing
Just 1 treatment increases mean gland secretion 3-fold and reduces more than 50% dry eye symptoms.
Treatment also increased patient comfortable contact lens wear time by approximately 4 hours on average per day.TearScience® LipiFlow® treatment prior to cataract surgery improves mean dry eye symptoms and vision-related function scores post-surgery. We also have MiBo ThermoFlo for patients that treats the surface of the lids. Our Doctors that specialize in Dry Eye Syndrome will determine what treatment is best for your eyes.Choose TearScience® LipiFlow® and Heartland Eye Consultants dry eye specialists to manage and treat your Dry Eye Syndrome. Call us today for your consultation!Because Eye Health Starts at the Surface.
Having Vision Problems?
Contact the experts at Heartland Eye Consultants.