Ruchika Ranasinghe, MD of Sunrise Children’s Hospital in Las Vegas, Nevada has some great insights as to how vision affects learning. Our passion at Heartland Eye Consultants is to maximize people’s visual ability to optimize their performance in daily life. For children, daily life means learning in the classroom. Learning in the classroom means heavy use of the visual system. Take a look at this article by Dr. Ranasinghe to get a better idea of some of the warning signs of vision problems in children.
9 Signs your Child Might Be Visually Impaired
- Sitting too close to the TV or holding books very close
- Blinking repeatedly or squinting and closing one eye or the other
- Tilting their head to one side in and effort to see better
- Frequent eye rubbing during activities
- Light sensitivity and/or frequent headaches
- Losing their place while reading
- Avoiding reading or close up work
- Irritation while doing visual work
- Poor hand-eye coordination
3 Things You Can Do To Support Your Child’s Eye Health
- Get a comprehensive eye exam
- Limit screen time
- Protect his or her eyes from the sun
Lopez, Ana. “9 Warning Signs Your Child Has Vision Problems – Eyes and Vision.”Sharecare. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 June 2016.
If you think that your child might be suffering from a visual impairment please contact our office today!